Saturday, January 16, 2010

A note about miscarriages

Four people close to me (and several more who were not, but whom I found out about) have had miscarriages in the last year. Put another way, in the last year I have known more women who have had miscarriages than successful pregnancies. The old statistic was that 20% of women will have miscarriages; now they're surmising that it's more like 40%. Had we not been to the doctor this week who told us our chances were at 3-5% now that we've seen a heartbeat, I probably would not even be writing this blog.
I have two to three more weeks to go before our chances drop down to less than 1%, and I just want to acknowledge that this blog is not intended to tempt fate. Let's call it an act of optimism and hope and leave it at that. And if you happen to be reading this blog and have had a miscarriage, please know how truly sorry I am for your loss.

0 comments :