Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pregnancy Brain

For the uninitiated, "pregnancy brain" refers to the sudden onset of spaciness, forgetfulness, and general lack of organization that occurs when one is pregnant.
Oh, it's real. I thought it would take a few trimesters to kick in. Not so.
Those little details...they slip through the fingers so easily! I had no idea how organized and detail-oriented I was until I stopped being that way, and everyone noticed. My supervisor. Steve. A few of my friends.
Steve looked it up and supposedly it's due to lack of sleep. I've been sleeping really well -- being careful to get no less than 8 hours, aiming more often for 9-10. In fact, 10 seemed to be the perfect number for me to feel good the next day, so I was hitting the sack pretty darn early. A lot.
I think it's just pure distraction. One can't help but have one's thoughts turned either inward, evaluating one's physical sensations and needs, or turned to the future: will the baby be healthy? What gender? What will our lives be like? And so forth.
Whatever the reason, oy! It hit me hard. Perhaps now that I'm getting my energy back it will lighten up a bit as I have more resources to draw from...

1 comments :

  1. Unknown said...

    Would you consider it a sign of brotherly support if I were to suggest that you have always been absent minded?!