Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another week, another doctor

Met the second of three doctors at the OB practice today for my latest visit; yet another very nice man. I measured at 33 cm again and the same weight again and asked him about it, and he said that such plateauing is normal and if I measured 40cm at 40 weeks they'd be very concerned for the baby's size! He said if they were worried they'd order an ultrasound, to which I said, well, the other doctor did just that, but only because he said it couldn't hurt. Too which he replied, nope, it can't hurt. He was very reassuring.
The ultrasound happened 45 minutes later and everything looks great -- Acorn is ~5.9lbs edit: 5 lbs 9oz! Which means (s)he weighs right about average for this stage. The ultrasound tech commented that both the heart and lungs looked great and were pumping away, and that there was plenty of fluid. By her estimation the baby looks totally healthy. She measured the diameter of the skull at 8.6cm, with me silently thinking, okay, no bigger than that; you stay at 8.6 and I'll get to 10 and everyone's happy!
And yes, I avoided learning the gender one last time, so yes, it's still a mystery. 5 more weeks or so and we'll all find out.
Up next week: I meet the first of three midwives at the practice and my husband comes home!

0 comments :