Thursday, July 8, 2010

The new OB office

Everything went well at my new OB office. I handed them all my old records and they found them to be complete; I got a bunch of education around the hospital they use and their practice; and I got to review some information that I already knew, which I assume they have to tell me just to be safe -- no unpasteurized or raw foods, and what medications are safe, for example. The only frustrating part of this process, in which I'll meet a new MD or Midwife each week right up until 40 weeks (6 people total), is having to retell my story over and over again: actually, I used to live in CT. I moved back here for a job and for family. I just got my MSW which is why we lived in Colorado. My husband is wrapping up a job out West. And so forth. Can't they write that stuff down in their notes too? I already miss having one doctor who knows me fairly well and whose memory is easy to jog, but I understand their system of having me meet everyone so there will be no strangers come delivery day.
One perk with joining the new office, though, is in discussing my weight and how I'm measuring and all that, the MD I met this week decided we should do another ultrasound just to check out how big the baby is and how it's doing. So I get to see Acorn one more time!! I'm bummed that Steve will miss it and I'll have to be stubborn about not learning the gender one more time, but I'm still pleased to see the latest baby images. It'll have been 15 weeks since the last one -- nearly four months -- so it's going to be eye-opening. That will take place after my next appointment next Wednesday. If the images are clear at all, I'll scan them.
Other tidbits: the MD told me that in his experience, tall women don't need c-sections, and that I have "birthing hips." Well, thank you very much! (He may be the only man on earth with the possible exception of my husband who can walk away intact after saying such things to me.) Of course, my mom is tall and still needed a c-section because my brother refused to leave the womb*, but I didn't get into that. He also told me that there is a very high chance that this kid is going to come late, that most first pregnancies go past their due date. I was already prepared for that and am hopeful that in5.5 weeks I'll be able to live with those few extra days.
All in all, I feel good about the new office and confident that things will work out just fine with them.

*My brother was due to be born on July 4th, 1976 -- the bicentennial! Instead, he made his appearance FOUR weeks later on July 29th. They don't allow moms to go over their due date that long any more. It's just mind-boggling to think about!

0 comments :